Jonathan,

GIS is a rather broad field. You could split it into several 'more concrete' research sub-fields (classification of scientific 'fields' is obviously a very fuzzy area): spatial data modelling, spatial databases, raster GIS / remote sensing, vector data modelling, digital terrain modelling (geomorphometry), spatial statistics etc. Then, for each sub-field find the most popular source.

As a gentle introduction to GIS, I liked suggesting the Paul Bolstads book [http://www.paulbolstad.net/gisbook.html], but this is really an introduction and is mainly meant for the students in USA (also, it is not meant for software training courses).

A colleague of mine (Victor Olaya) has been putting together an open access 900 pages (!) book on GIS principles [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Libro_SIG], but this is in Spanish (although they do actually plan an English book too [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Book_Outline]).

R / GRASS / SAGA community provides numerous training and hands-on-software literature sources. This would be my favorites ones:

1. Spatial data modeling
- Bivand, R., Pebesma, E., Rubio, V., 2008. Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R. Use R Series, Springer, Heidelberg, pp. 378.

2. Spatial databases
- Obe, R.O. and Hsu, L.S., 2011. PostGIS in Action. Manning Publications, 552 p. - Beaudette, D., 2011. Open Source Software Tools for Soil Scientists, University of California at Davis. [http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/95]

3. Raster GIS / remote sensing
- Neteler, M., Mitasova, H., 2008. Open Source GIS: A GRASS GIS Approach, 3rd Edt. Springer, The International Series in Engineering and Computer Science: Volume 773. 406 p. - Hijmans, R., 2011. Geographic analysis and modeling with raster data. CRAN, [http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/raster/]

4. Geomorphometry (DEMs)
- Cimmery, V. (2007-2010): SAGA User Guide, updated for SAGA version 2.0.5.
- Hengl, T., Reuter, H.I. (eds) 2008. Geomorphometry: Concepts, Software, Applications. Developments in Soil Science, vol. 33, Elsevier, 772 p.

5. Space-time statistics
- Bivand, R., Pebesma, E., Rubio, V., 2008. Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R. Use R Series, Springer, Heidelberg, pp. 378. - Schabenberger, O., Gotway, C.A., 2005. Statistical Methods for Spatial Data Analysis. Boca Raton, FL: Chapman & Hall/CRC, 488 p. - Diggle, P.J., Ribeiro, P.J., 2006. Model-based Geostatistics. Springer, 230 p.

I think you would do more than a noble thing if you would promote the following three 'classics':

1. Bivand, R., Pebesma, E., Rubio, V., 2008. Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R. Use R Series, Springer, Heidelberg, pp. 378. 2. Neteler, M., Mitasova, H., 2008. Open Source GIS: A GRASS GIS Approach, 3rd Edt. Springer, The International Series in Engineering and Computer Science: Volume 773. 406 p. 3. Kabacoff, R.I., 2011. R in Action: Data analysis and graphics with R. Manning publications, 470 p.

HTH,

T. Hengl
http://www.wewur.wur.nl/popups/vcard.aspx?id=HENGL001