I haven't used Sumo, but a (perhaps too) brief scan of the paper shows that
this
is a Tomcat servlet deployed as a zip file (a .war file). While I'm
familiar
with Tomcat, I hesitate to use it for GIS based on my experience with
another Tomcat  web map server, with its substantial memory footprint,
lumbering  response time and the elaborate ceremony involved
with configuring a proliferation of XML files combined with
programming in Java.

I could be mistaken and I'm opening myself to criticism--but if I am
completely  mistaken and I have to work with Tomcat, then I
might lose motivation. ;)

OpenCPU is implemented in R--a potential drawback,
though I suspect that Tomcat is unlikely to be much more efficient.
OpenCPU is deployed with Apache2;  in Tomcat's case with the apache
connector. Maybe Sumo would work with geoserver. If security is an issue,
since you're deploying behind Apache, why not configure Apache with
mod-security?

I like the RESTful API of OpenCPU and that it can display ggplot2 graphics.
In some sense, providing a web-enabled R GIS server with a RESTful API
is the worst case, but if you have this then implementing a "geospatial
indicator
calculator" of any user-definable function of the GIS data layers  looks
feasible.
(This would be done  within a sandbox to contain  attempts to subvert the
system through the calculator)

Anyway, for geospatial calculations R is unbeatable. It lacks an interactive
web front end.