Dear list,

Is there a way to fit in R a multilevel model that accounts for the spatial
proximity/neighborhood that may exist between the cases in the first level?

I have found some older questions in R lists related to this issue, but all
related to fitting more complex models and usually with spatial correlation
in the higher-levels, what is a diferente task.

My first-level units are counties and second-level units are states. In my
model I have theoretical reasons to expect the countries of a same state to
be spatially correlated. While there is no reason to expect counties to be
spatially related to the counties of other states.

Thanks,

Ferdinand V. Bersse