Roger Bivand a écrit :
> On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Patrick Giraudoux wrote:
>

>> Deal all,
>>
>> I am moving from Windows XP to Ubuntu and hopefully work on the two
>> plateform and more an more on Linux (an old dream). Thus I am a newby in
>> Linux. I have installed R 2.4 (note that the R-cran repository must be
>> added manually to the synaptic package manager - if not one get R 2.3
>> from universe).
>>
>> gdal 1.3.1 has been installed via the synaptic package manager (thus
>> most likely well).
>>

> Do you know or are you hoping?
OK. I am hoping... Thanks for the warning. As a beginner I was more
confident in synaptic tools that in myself  compiling but I have already
discovered that using synaptic with standard respository leads to
install an old R version...  and then had to manage otherwise to get R
2.4 installed.

I will check that according to your instructions and give news to the
list when I find a way through (I may not be the only one to meet troubles).

Thanks a lot,

Patrick

> Does gdalinfo --version work? gdal-config
> should live in the same directory as gdalinfo. Have you looked at your
> PATH (echo $PATH)?
>
> Personally, on capable OS I much prefer to build software I need from
> source, rather than installing binaries. GDAL 1.3.1 is pretty old, 1.3.2
> is established, and 1.4.0 will be released very soon. I think people have
> had similar problems on the GRASS list with this distribution - the
> promise of binary installs becomes the disappointment of finding that the
> available packages are either out of date, or make unjustified assumptions
> about other installed packages, or both.
>
> Roger
>

>> The trouble comes installing the package rgdal. I get this message:
>>
>> The gdal-config script distributed with GDAL could not be found.
>> If you have not installed the GDAL libraries, you can
>> download the source from  http://www.gdal.org/
>> If you have installed the GDAL libraries, then make sure that
>> gdal-config is in your path. Try typing gdal-config at a
>> shell prompt and see if it runs. If not, use:
>>  --configure-args='--with-gdal-config=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config' echo
>> with appropriate values for your installation.
>>
>> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgdal'
>> ** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/rgdal'
>>
>> typing gdal-confing at a shell prompt does not run indeed, but I don't
>> have the lesser idea of what the next line advised to be used means:
>> --configure-args='--with-gdal-config=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config' echo
>>
>> For instance, I have tried
>> locate gdal-config
>> to find were the directory or file mentioned may be found... useless.
>>
>> I have googled a bit through mailing lists where this question is
>> sometime raised, but did not find helpful answers.
>>
>> Any hint?
>>
>> Patrick

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]