On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Patrick Giraudoux wrote:

> Deal all,
>
> I am moving from Windows XP to Ubuntu and hopefully work on the two
> plateform and more an more on Linux (an old dream). Thus I am a newby in
> Linux. I have installed R 2.4 (note that the R-cran repository must be
> added manually to the synaptic package manager - if not one get R 2.3
> from universe).
>
> gdal 1.3.1 has been installed via the synaptic package manager (thus
> most likely well).

Do you know or are you hoping? Does gdalinfo --version work? gdal-config
should live in the same directory as gdalinfo. Have you looked at your
PATH (echo $PATH)?

Personally, on capable OS I much prefer to build software I need from
source, rather than installing binaries. GDAL 1.3.1 is pretty old, 1.3.2
is established, and 1.4.0 will be released very soon. I think people have
had similar problems on the GRASS list with this distribution - the
promise of binary installs becomes the disappointment of finding that the
available packages are either out of date, or make unjustified assumptions
about other installed packages, or both.

Roger

> The trouble comes installing the package rgdal. I get this message:
>
> The gdal-config script distributed with GDAL could not be found.
> If you have not installed the GDAL libraries, you can
> download the source from  http://www.gdal.org/
> If you have installed the GDAL libraries, then make sure that
> gdal-config is in your path. Try typing gdal-config at a
> shell prompt and see if it runs. If not, use:
>  --configure-args='--with-gdal-config=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config' echo
> with appropriate values for your installation.
>
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgdal'
> ** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/rgdal'
>
> typing gdal-confing at a shell prompt does not run indeed, but I don't
> have the lesser idea of what the next line advised to be used means:
> --configure-args='--with-gdal-config=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config' echo
>
> For instance, I have tried
> locate gdal-config
> to find were the directory or file mentioned may be found... useless.
>
> I have googled a bit through mailing lists where this question is
> sometime raised, but did not find helpful answers.
>
> Any hint?
>
> Patrick

Roger Bivand
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]