Greetings:

This week I am working with HDF format files containing ocean color imagery (CZCS, SeaWIFS) secured from NASA GSFC,
and would like to bring the image maps into the R environment.

One way I have done this is to use the SeaDAS software to extract a 2-dim binary floating point matrix (from the HDF file) and write it to disk, then use R pixmap() to read it in to a vector. This works, but one loses all of the image attributes contained in the HDF header. Now, it would be good to read the HDF file directly into R, capturing the header attributes.

I have tried the R HDF5 library routine hdf5load(), which seems to read the new .hdf5 format
but NOT the older .hdf format (I tried, unsuccessfully)

Question is: Has anyone developed a technique to read HDF files with R?

Thanks in advance, Rick R

--
Rick Reeves
Scientific Programmer / Analyst

begin:vcard
fn:Rick  Reeves
n:Reeves;Rick
org:UC Santa Barbara;National Center For Ecological Analysis and Synthesis
adr:Suite 300;;735 State Street;Santa Barbara;CA;93101;USA
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Rick Reeves,  Scientific Programmer/Analyst
tel;work:805 892 2533
url:http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu
version:2.1
end:vcard