Rick,

Looks like GDAL supports HDF4/5 format so you should be able to read data
using rgdal. I've not tried it myself. Let me know what you find.

Cheers,
Tim

On 1/10/07, Rick Reeves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> This week I am working with HDF format files containing ocean color
> imagery (CZCS, SeaWIFS) secured from NASA GSFC,
> and would like to bring the image maps into the R environment.
>
> One way I have done this is to use the SeaDAS software to extract a
> 2-dim binary floating point matrix (from the HDF file)
> and write it to disk, then use R pixmap() to read it in to a vector.
> This works, but one loses all of the image attributes
> contained in the HDF header. Now, it would be good to read the HDF file
> directly into R, capturing the header attributes.
>
> I have tried the R HDF5 library routine hdf5load(), which seems to read
> the new .hdf5 format
> but NOT the older .hdf format (I tried, unsuccessfully)
>
> Question is: Has anyone developed a technique to read HDF files with R?
>
> Thanks in advance, Rick R
>
> --
> Rick Reeves
> Scientific Programmer / Analyst
> National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis
> UC Santa Barbara
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> www.nceas.ucsb.edu
> 805 892 2533

Timothy H. Keitt, University of Texas at Austin
Contact info and schedule at http://www.keittlab.org/tkeitt/
Reprints at http://www.keittlab.org/tkeitt/papers/
ODF attachment? See http://www.openoffice.org/

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]