I agree.  It's difficult to see any reason that someone who currently
uses R/GRASS would go to ESRI for spatial statistics.  I come from a
long history as an ESRI user with an interest in spatial stats.  As
others have said, ArcGIS may give you the basics quickly and easily, but
it is limited and expensive.

Actually, ESRI giving spatial statistics any kind of attention is a
bonus for R users.  The new ArcGIS spatial stats functions may draw in
some typical GIS users to take a look (just like the ArcGIS GeoStat ext
did years ago), but once they need to do more intensive work, or modify
parameters, or deal with larger datasets, or get tired of crashes,
etc..., they will look elsewhere (again, like ArcGIS GeoStat did), and
R/GRASS is right there waiting.

- John

John Callahan
Geospatial Application Developer