Your data will probably be a lot easier to work with if you put it in this
form:

X       Y         Rainfall    Date
6.25   43.75   189         10/1972
6.25   44.25   153         10/1972

(Or leave off the date column and still keep a separate object for each set
of observations, whichever makes more sense for you).

To get the data in this form, unless you have a better way, you'll probably
want to write some kind of for loop to loop over the row and column names of
your data (I think the functions are called rownames and colnames for
this).  Once you get the data in the format above, you can use the plot or
maybe spplot functions with the X and Y coordinate vectors (data$X and
data$Y), after creating some kind of colored index based on the rainfall.
The package RColorBrewer or just the standard rainbow() function will
probably help with creating colors.

Hope this helps somewhat.

-James Nylen

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 5:52 AM, Alexandre VILLERS <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Good afternoon (even if it might be morning or evening for some of you),
>
> The question might appear ordinary.
> I have a large dataset where such dataframe is repeated
>
> Oct 1972    6.25    6.75    7.25    7.75    8.25
> 43.75    189    210    190    155    140
> 44.25    153    163    174    164    160
> 44.75    110    98    99    114    128
> 45.25    58    52    56    75    86
> 45.75    42    39    42    57    67
>
> with *rainfall values* for a given Month Year in function of (xy)coordinates.
> I isolated each data.frame in an object but how can I turn this into a
> raster image with the appropriate coordinates
> Don't need (for the moment !) to write me down the code but just let me
> know which packages or funtion I could use.
> (the idea is then to link those values to birds' nests locations).
> Best regards
>
> Alex
>

> --
>
> Alexandre Villers