The following R example might be a bit off-topic, but it does show how to create a point grid and then use it to extract samples from an underlying set of vector polygons. The vector polygon data could probably be replaced by a raster grid. Though not a very big one, given R's memory
limitations.

http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/scicomp/GISSeminar/UseCases/SampleVectorPolygonsRasterGrid/SampleVectorPolysRastGrid.html

I might suggest the use of GRASS for this task.

Rick Reeves