Hi Jan,

Even simpler, once you have a SpatialPolygons object you can use spsample() to make a grid in that polygon. For reading polygons look at the rgdal package or readShapePoly() in the maptools package. See http://spatial.nhh.no/R/etc/world_map_intro.html for a shapefile for the whole world, probably you could get a map of germany from that quite easily.

Be sure to take a look at the automap package, it is a wrapper around gstat, automating interpolation. Just see what you get from that as a start. automap is not (yet) on cran, but you can download it from my website (I wrote the package and now I'm advertising it :)) http:/intamap.geo.uu.nl/~paul/Downloads.html.

cheers,
Paul

Virgilio Gomez Rubio schreef:
Jan,

If you have the boundaries of Germany and you want to make your own
grid, you can use the overlay method to 'cut' the grid so that you only
get the points inside Germany. You can use this object in gstat to make
your predictions.

Hope this helps,

Virgilio