I do use Windows, and thank you very much for the help!

I know how to do this in GIS as Jonathan suggested; however, I haven't tried
it in R with the solution Rick recommended since i am still cleaning my
input data.

The problem of this task is very obvious: it will be super inefficient if
all the distances have to be calculated. My initial thought was to locate
the target points and subset the dataset before any calculations being made,
but it may require quite a bit coding...... What you described sounds great
to me, and i am looking forward to seeing it.

b.t.w. the link you provided doesn't work, would you please double check it?

X.W.