Greetings
I have a large number of long-lat locations dispersed over the  US and need

to identify which US county that each point is located in  (or nearest to).

After reading the past posts  and Roger's book, I have been able to use the
overlay function
to  identify the appropriate counties for the set of  locations
with  long-lats lying within or on a polygon boundary.   However, due to
longlat precision errors (I am assuming), some of the  points lie  outside
all of
my shapefile's county polygon  boundaries.

Is there an R function similar to "overlay" that I could use to find  which

county polygon is closest to each of my longlat points that do  not lie
within the shapefile's polygons?  I have spent quite a  bit of time
searching
and browsing past list discussions and can seem  to find my  answer.

My apologies if I have missed an obvious  answer.

Joe