De: r-sig-geo-boun...@stat.math.ethz.ch en nombre de brwin...@aol.com
Enviado el: jue 21/05/2009 21:14
Para: r-sig-geo@stat.math.ethz.ch
Asunto: [R-sig-Geo] Finding the county shapefile polygon closest to along-lat
position

Greetings
I have a large number of long-lat locations dispersed over the  US and need

to identify which US county that each point is located in  (or nearest to).

After reading the past posts  and Roger's book, I have been able to use the
overlay function
to  identify the appropriate counties for the set of  locations
with  long-lats lying within or on a polygon boundary.   However, due to
longlat precision errors (I am assuming), some of the  points lie  outside
all of
my shapefile's county polygon  boundaries.

Is there an R function similar to "overlay" that I could use to find  which

county polygon is closest to each of my longlat points that do  not lie
within the shapefile's polygons?  I have spent quite a  bit of time
searching
and browsing past list discussions and can seem  to find my  answer.

My apologies if I have missed an obvious  answer.

Joe

La información contenida en este e-mail y sus ficheros adjuntos es totalmente
confidencial y no debería ser usado si no fuera usted alguno de los
destinatarios. Si ha recibido este e-mail por error, por favor avise al
remitente y bórrelo de su buzón o de cualquier otro medio de almacenamiento.
This email is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the
original intended  recipient. If you have received this e-mail in  error please
inform the sender and delete it from  your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism.
        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]