Hi Tom!

I'm a geographer and R enthusiast too, but what I can say is: R is a great
software to statistics. The final production of maps, although it's
possible, it's simple and faster made with GIS softwares, like GRASS,
Quantum GIS or ArcGIS.

My tip is: organize data with spreadsheet and GIS softwares, import (as
shapefile, if possible) in R and make your statistical analysis and
statistical columns of data, export to another shapefile and manipulate the
final map in GIS softwares.

I repeat, it's possible make all these steps in R, and generate great maps,
but the most simple way is above. Personally, I use R to make the final maps
only when I have to produce a long series of simple maps.

I think the best way is the integration of GIS software with R, each one
with his specialty.

King regards,

Raphael Saldanha
BRAZIL