Hello all,
An alternative to create (possibly simple) shapefiles is the "shapefiles" package.

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/shapefiles/index.html.

Also the "PBSmapping" package is a very good alternative to make maps within R, and to perform basic GIS operations (i.e. overlap of polygons, identification of locations within polygons, etc.).

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/PBSmapping/index.html

Nevertheless, I do think that is worth while to take a bit of time and learn to use the classes and methods for spatial data in the "sp" package. The Bivand et al. book (Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R) is a great place to start.
All the best,

Julian

--
Julian Mariano Burgos
Hafrannsóknastofnunin/Marine Research Institute

Paul Hiemstra wrote:
Raphael Saldanha wrote:
Hi Tom!

I'm a geographer and R enthusiast too, but what I can say is: R is a great
software to statistics. The final production of maps, although it's
possible, it's simple and faster made with GIS softwares, like GRASS,
Quantum GIS or ArcGIS.
Hi,

As you already stated, making the maps in R is quite possible. I make all my geographic illustrations for my publications in R. The advantage that I don't have do something first in Excel or ArcGIS and then something in R and ending in yet another tool. I like the fact that my whole workflow is in one versatile tool, R. So for me learning to make maps in R payed off. In addition, you can make awesome maps, especially of mulitvariate spatial data, in R. In addition, I use linux (Debian) and the desktop GIS tools that I tried (svSig, Qgis, and some more) did not provide publication quality maps. ArcMap does, but this is not available under Linux. If you use Windows this is not a problem ofcourse. See the link below for an animation I made using R (and some other linux tools):

http://intamap.geo.uu.nl/~paul/Images/animation_25fps.mpg

All of the above is purely my opinion :).

cheers and good luck,
Paul
My tip is: organize data with spreadsheet and GIS softwares, import (as
shapefile, if possible) in R and make your statistical analysis and
statistical columns of data, export to another shapefile and manipulate the
final map in GIS softwares.

I repeat, it's possible make all these steps in R, and generate great maps, but the most simple way is above. Personally, I use R to make the final maps
only when I have to produce a long series of simple maps.

I think the best way is the integration of GIS software with R, each one
with his specialty.

King regards,

Raphael Saldanha
BRAZIL