On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Pinaud David wrote:

Hi Michael,
Roger is fully right, this function does not preserve the topology, so be aware of that, some problems can occur... If you want to use shapefiles::dp() just for raw plotting and visual simplification, you can try (on the fly):

library(rgdal)
library(shapefiles)

fr <- readOGR("polygonFRA_WGS84.shp", "polygonFRA_WGS84") # a shapefile of France with complex topology (holes, islands...) in WGS84 coordinates
pp <- slot(fr, "polygons") # take the polygons
cf <- coordinates(slot(pp[[39]], "Polygons")[[1]]) # extract the coordinates of the main polygon ("continental France") pf <- list(x=cf[,1], y=cf[,2]) # list of coordinates, as dp() needs a list and not a matrix or dataframe...
cf1 <- dp(pf, 0.1) # simplification, with a bandwith of 0.1 decimal degree
plot(fr)  # to see the result
points(cf1, col="red", t="l")

This seems to work OK given that slivers are not important:
library(sp)
library(Guerry)
# installed from R-Forge
data(gfrance)
object.size(gfrance)
pls <- slot(gfrance, "polygons")
pls_dp <- vector(mode="list", length=length(pls))
require(shapefiles)
tol <- 2500
minarea <- 500000
for (i in 1:length(pls)) {
  Pls <- slot(pls[[i]], "Polygons")
  Pls_dp <- vector(mode="list", length=length(Pls))
  for (j in 1:length(Pls)) {
    crds <- slot(Pls[[j]], "coords")
    crds_s <- dp(list(x=crds[,1], y=crds[,2]), tolerance=tol)
    crds_s <- do.call("cbind", crds_s)
    if(!identical(crds_s[1,], crds_s[nrow(crds_s),]))
      crds_s <- rbind(crds_s, crds_s[1,])
    Pls_dp[[j]] <- Polygon(crds_s)
  }
  Keep <- logical(length(Pls_dp))
  for (j in 1:length(Pls_dp)) {
    Keep[j] <- TRUE
    if (slot(Pls_dp[[j]], "area") < minarea) Keep[j] <- FALSE
  }
  Pls_dp <- Pls_dp[Keep]
  pls_dp[[i]] <- Polygons(Pls_dp, ID=slot(pls[[i]], "ID"))
}
gfrance_dp <- SpatialPolygonsDataFrame(SpatialPolygons(pls_dp), data=slot(gfrance, "data"))
object.size(gfrance_dp)

If this was a function, the input would be an object inheriting from SpatialPolygons, the tolerance, and a minimum polygon area. The removal of small Polygon objects needs protecting from removing all belonging to a given Polygons object. The CRS also needs copying across. The objects are rebuilt to correct areas, centroids, plot orders, and the bounding box, all of which may change. For figures, the companion thread on R-help is relevant, PDF output for choropleth maps is often a good deal larger in file size than that of the equivalent PNG device.

I'll ask the shapefiles authors whether I can copy dp() to maptools and include suitable methods - this will help in benchmarking the future GEOS version.

Hope this helps,

Roger

HTH
David

Michael Friendly a écrit :
I think, for my application, I'd be happy with the D-P polyline simplification algorithm, because that is what is used in SAS (worked well), and I don't think there are unusual topologies in my map of France that would be so severely out of whack as to lead to *significant* visual artifacts. In fact, you might well expect some artifacts from any visual thinning, but it's a matter of the tradeoff in the way the thinned map is used in a visualization. Mark Monmonier's
US Visibility Map might be an extremely thinned, but highly useful example.

For R spatial analysis, I think this is worth pursuing and integrating into sp methods. In SAS, proc greduce works simply by adding another variable, density, to the (x,y) coordinates of the spatial polygons, density %in% 1:5, where density==5 is the full map. It is then a simple matter to subset the polygon outlines by saying

data smallmap;
   set mymap;
   where density<4;

or

proc gmap map=mymap(where=(density<4));

Meanwhile, I can't see easily how I could use shapefiles::dp() to thin my Guerry::gfrance maps, because the documentation is,
shall we say, somewhat thin.
-Michael