Am 25.01.2010 22:35 (UTC+1) schrieb Roger Bivand:
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Rainer Hurling wrote:

Some days ago Brian Ripley and Uwe Ligges announced an update to
MinGW-w64 builds for 64-bit Windows on r-de...@. This daily version
works really nice. But it is not fully applicable at this time because
of some missing packages.

I am in particular interested in a 64-bit version of rgdal, which
depends on a 64-bit version of gdal(.dll). Is their anything known
about what is planned with this important part of spatial software?

For this, a 64-bit MSYS is required. If someone who has a 64-bit Windows
system can take the initiative on this, I would be very grateful - I
have no access to any such system. Brian Ripley and Uwe Ligges have been
in touch with me on this, and so far have put it aside until packages
without external dependencies are done. It really does depend on our
community building PROJ.4, EXPAT, and GDAL from source under 64-bit MSYS
on a Windows 64-bit system using the same build train as other w64
packages, if we want it done.

Thanks, Roger and Edzer for answering.

I know of this procedure. I was only interested if there is something known about purposes of these projects (like a timeline or testing prereleases) so that the R community can build a 64-bit rgdal version in the near future.

I am only working with FreeBSD. Our staff members mostly use Windows, increasingly the 64-bit versions. I am asking for that people. Unfortunately we are not able to build our 64-bit windows versions for ourselves (administrated windows machines).

Rainer