On 08/24/2010 03:58 PM, Thiago Veloso wrote:
>    Dear Dr. Hijman,
>    Thank you for the reply.
>    Initially I was thinking in using a GIS approach, as a state map would to
> be involved in the process.
>    Please check this link:
> http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/7021/fig6vdist.png
>    A work colleague produced this map using ArcGIS, but at a cost of almost a
> entire morning.
>    I was wondering if it is possible to reproduce that using R + GIS packages.
>    Best regards,
>    Thiago.

In addition to the reply by Pierre Roudier, take a look at the ggplot2
pacakge. An example:

library(sp)
library(ggplot2)

data(meuse)
summary(meuse)

ggplot(aes(x = x, y = y, size = copper, color = ffreq), data = meuse) +
geom_point()

So here the size of the objects is determined by the copper attribute,
the color by the ffreq attribute. This should be relatively easy to port
to your dataset.

cheers,
Paul

Drs. Paul Hiemstra