Ok, so I was able to convert and visualize everything but the projections
are skewed. Do I have to define a projection when reading it in via raster
or using writeGDAL? I have a custom co-ordinate system which is a modified
North American Lambert Conformal Conic (NAD 1983 datum) like so:
False_Easting: 0.00000000
False_Northing: 0.00000000
Central_Meridian: -96.00000000
Standard_Parallel_1: 33.00000000
Standard_Parallel_2: 45.00000000
Latitude_Of_Origin: 40.00000000
Linear Unit: Meter

I would presume that writeGDAL takes care of the projection but my hunch
says otherwise since the netcdf does not really have a "projection" in GIS
parlance if I am not mistaken.

Thanks!

--
advait godbole