Hi Christofer,

Here is the content of my fairly simple .Rprofile:

options(help_type = "html")
local({r <- getOption("repos")
       r["CRAN"] <- "http://cran.us.r-project.org";
       options(repos=r)
})
options(papersize = "letter")
options(show.signif.stars = FALSE)
options(device = "quartz")
options(width = 72)

Note that I do not have a .First function defined and HTML based help works
just fine for me in a Terminal session.

The setting of my CRAN repo is based upon the examples in ?Startup.

Another thought, which may be a long shot. Check to see if there is a .RData
file in your home directory and if so, move it to the Desktop or some other
location and try a new R session without it being present. Alternatively start
a new R session from the Terminal using:

  R --no-restore-data

It may be possible that there is some level of corruption in the .RData file or
something was saved in the image file from a prior session that is causing a
conflict.

Regards,

Marc