On Nov 6, 2008, at 16:29 , Steve Lianoglou wrote:

Hi,

I then installed R.app from R-GUI-5256-2.8-leopard-Deployment64.dmg
and installed a number of bioconductor libraries from source.
I advanced farther in getting 64-bit R and libraries up and
running than at any previous attempt, and thought I finally had
functional 64 bit R available on my Mac.

But I keep hitting a tcltk problem that I can't seem to solve.
Whenever I'm trying to install a package that requires tcltk
the installation fails with this message:

Loading Tcl/Tk interface ... Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) : unable to load shared library '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/ Resources/library/tcltk/libs/ppc64/tcltk.so': dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/tcltk/libs/ ppc64/tcltk.so, 10): Symbol not found: _Tk_Init Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/ tcltk/libs/ppc64/tcltk.so
Expected in: dynamic lookup

I know this doesn't really help you at all, but it seems that tcltk installed smoothly on my machine (Mac Pro) and I was able to compile a 4-way fat binary.

Indeed, this issue is specific to ppc64. The problem is that it's not possible to build ppc64 binaries of R on an Intel machine so we have to use another machine for the ppc64 build and that machine didn't have the latest Tcl/Tk installed. This should be fixed now so please try the updated nightly build tomorrow.

Thanks,
Simon

In trying to be a little helpful, though ...

Initially I installed several Bioconductor packages,
using biocLite() e.g.
biocLite("beadarray", type = "source")

You don't actually need to install bioconductor packages from source -- they're already compiled as a 4-way fat binary for Leopard as of bioconductor 2.3 ... while it doesn't help you much here, perhaps it's good to know to save you install/compile time in the future.

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou
Graduate Student: Physiology, Biophysics and Systems Biology

http://cbio.mskcc.org/~lianos