Loren,

Thanks for the screen shot.

A bit more experimentation and a quick look at the code refreshed my memory.

If you exit R, .RData is always written to the directory you are in.

In your setting, on q() to quit, R.app should ask for conformation to save the workspace.

If you don't change your directory it should create a .RData in your home directory (that's where your R.app started).

Preferences do not provide help here, but you could create a .Last function with a save.image() command in it to force storing the .RData file to a fixed directory. In that case you can opt to set the Quit preferences to 'No' (don't ask me to store the workspace).

For history its a (tiny) bit more flexible. By selecting an absolute path, like you have in your setting, it will always store the current available history commands in that file (including the ones that were read in during startup, so the new commands are at the end of the file).

If this does not work for you, can you send me your ~/.Rhistory file after executing a last new command in R.app, maybe something like 'testHist <- 1' and quitting R.app?

As you found in the archives, a few folks did have trouble (usually because R.app could not write to the selected directory).

After this email it might be better to take this discussion off-line.

Regards,
Rob