On Aug 30, 2010, at 8:46 PM, Jooil Kim wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> First off, I can see that some of my previous comments were very ignorant in
> many regards. Having been given further information on the efforts of the
> r-project community in maintaining the MacOSX binaries, I sincerely regret
> most of my remarks.
>
> That said, I find it strange that not only does the compile work, but so do
> all the examples in the mapdata package - the "map('china')" example, the
> source of trouble according to the logs, seems to work OK. As far as I can
> tell so far, other users cannot reproduce the bug that's keeping a MacOSX
> binary from being generated for CRAN.

I can reproduce it reliably in R CMD check and semi-reliably in a session. The
problem is that it is reproducible with the binary, i.e. there is a non-zero
probability that it will happen. The backtrace points into .C itself -- but
since mapdata itself has no native code it is either an issue in maps or R...
(or mapdata generates something on which maps chokes).

I spent quite some time on it today and still can't pin it down (valgrind shows
nothing), so I can release the binary for mapdata but what this means is that
updates won't be pushed automatically.

Cheers,
Simon