You can also "tinker" your own tree with the help of Phylomatic and the APweb Tree behind it (<http://www.mobot.org/MOBOT/research/APWeb/>) as I have done it for ca. 12700 species. It was a major task but it worked (but only for plants).

cheers,
M.

Brian O'Meara schrieb:
There's not yet a good single source. TreeBase.org has some topologies, but not all studies go in there yet. The largest one I know of there has 1569 taxa . The PhyLoTA browser (<http://loco.biosci.arizona.edu/pb/>) has trees for many groups and also allows you to download aligned data to make your own. You can download NCBI's taxonomy, which is a sort of tree, though not highly-resolved or with branch lengths, but at least pretty comprehensive. You can also download the tree used by the Tree of Life project (<http://tolweb.org/tree/home.pages/downloadtree.html>). There may be a tree available from <http://www.timetree.org/>, but I haven't been able to find it in a form other than a pdf image.

Having a place to download the single best current estimate of the full tree of life would be great, and there are a few research groups working towards this goal, but it's not ready yet, as far as I know.

Hope this helps,
Brian

Brian C. O'Meara
Asst. Prof., Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
http://www.brianomeara.info
865-408-TREE (8733)