All-
As far as I understand it, the vast majority of continuous character
analyses assume that the trait is distributed normally and without
bounds. Is there an appropriate transformation to for measurements of
a trait that does have one or more bounds and where some taxa actually
are at that bound? I have several traits where the bound is zero, and
some taxa are actually at zero for this trait. (A practical example is
'spine length', where some taxa have virtually no spine.) And if there
is no transformation applicable, is it analytically appropriate to
remove taxa that have 'zero units' for that trait? Must we convert
these traits to discrete categories to deal with them at all?

As always, I appreciate your advice.
-Dave Bapst, UChicago

--
David Bapst