Hi David,

I am not sure what you mean. If you add a tiny value to all of your data, then
all you've done is shifted the mean ever so slightly. You then log-transform to
put the variables on a scale unbounded by 0, and then you measure phylogenetic
signal. The BM process models evolutionary changes as random draws from a
normal distribution. So this would be the log-transformed values here.  Adding
a tiny value to all data doesn't change things very much. Log transformation
changes things a lot more. So you're modeling a BM process on the
log-transformed values. But there is nothing "illegal" about that. You do have
to think about it, however.

This makes a lot of sense to me when I'm modeling body size evolution, because
the model would imply that when you're small, evolutionary changes tend to be
smaller than when you're big (evolutionary changes on larger animals would tend
to have bigger "jumps" on the original scale). Ignoring any clade-specific
biases, evolutionary changes in the body size of mice would tend to be a lot
smaller than evolutionary changes in the size of horses, for example. We can
imagine that some simple mechanistic reasons such as their subunits are smaller
(they have smaller cells, smaller vertebrae, etc., so adding on or taking away
would have bigger size effects). This seems biologically reasonable. I am not
sure if it would apply to your spine size data, but maybe it does. Of course if
your size variation is not that great, then it doesn't much matter (because
log-trasformation will then not have much effect on compressing the scale of
the values).

Anyway, this may be a longer-winded comment than you were asking for. I can't
think of any reason why adding tiny values would do anything to the
evolutionary simulation.

Marguerite