Dear list,

I'm trying to convert a phylo object into a dendrogram object with little success. host.tree is a rooted ultrametric tree with polytomies stored as phylo object. The polytomies can be resolved to produce a binary tree and this can be coerced into a hclust object:

h.d<-as.hclust(multi2di(host.tree))

However when converted to a dendrogram using as.dendrogram(h.d) the dendrogram appears broken. str(as.dendrogram(h.d)) returns:

--[dendrogram w/ 2 branches and  members at h = 96.1]
  |--[dendrogram w/ 2 branches and  members at h = 82.8]
  |  |--[dendrogram w/ 2 branches and  members at h = 70.3]
  |  |  |--[dendrogram w/ 2 branches and  members at h = 39]
  |  |  |  |--[dendrogram w/ 2 branches and  members at h = 24.5]
Error in class(val) <- cl : attempt to set an attribute on NULL

I have given the zero branch lengths from the polytomies non-zero branch lengths, but this does not seem to work either.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Jarrod Hadfield

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.