Hi John,

On 7/28/11, John Denton <jden...@amnh.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using the ape package, and was wondering if there was a method in the
> package or code for calculating the diameter
>
> (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GraphDiameter.html)
>
> of phylogenetic tree objects. I had been looking in to exporting trees
> from ape into a graph theory package (igraph), but it looks like it would
> be more difficult to write a file conversion script than to try something
> in ape itself.

Conversion is not hard, look in the source code of
phangorn:::plot.networx  for an example.

> Also, I have tried installing the phybase package from CRAN but keep
> getting errors. Does anyone have or know of a good script for calculating
> Robinson-Foulds differences for phy objects?

dist.topo in ape and RF.dist and treedist in phangorn compute the
Robinson-Foulds or symmetric distance (called Penny-Hendy in
dist.topo).

Cheers,
Klaus

> Thanks!
>
> ~J
>

> --
> "ORGANIC LIFE beneath the shoreless waves
> Was born and nurs'd in ocean's pearly caves;
> First forms minute, unseen by spheric glass,
> Move on the mud, or pierce the watery mass;
> These, as successive generations bloom,
> New powers acquire and larger limbs assume;
> Whence countless groups of vegetation spring,
> And breathing realms of fin and feet and wing."
>
> ~Erasmus Darwin, The Temple of Nature Canto I.V

Klaus Schliep
Université Paris 6 (Pierre et Marie Curie)
9, Quai Saint-Bernard, 75005 Paris