I have not tried this, but why should you need to set the branch lengths equal
to one?  That is not a requirement of the squared-change parsimony algorithm
(or ML equivalent) per se.  (With variable branch lengths, people often refer
to it as weighted squared-change parsimony.)  Maybe this is just a limitation
in ACE?

Also, how does ACE handle polytomies?  I know that some algorithms have trouble
with polytomies, which may be indicated as zero-length branches.

Cheers,
Ted

Theodore Garland, Jr.
Professor
Department of Biology
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521
Office Phone:  (951) 827-3524
Wet Lab Phone:  (951) 827-5724
Dry Lab Phone:  (951) 827-4026
Home Phone:  (951) 328-0820
Facsimile:  (951) 827-4286 = Dept. office (not confidential)
Email:  tgarl...@ucr.edu
http://www.biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland.html

Experimental Evolution: Concepts, Methods, and Applications of Selection
Experiments
Edited by Theodore Garland, Jr. and Michael R. Rose
http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520261808
(PDFs of chapters are available from me or from the individual authors)