Hi Alejandro,

I agree with almost all your points. A few additional comments below.

"Correlation" gives the correlation among the estimated regression parameters: it is computed from the variance-covariance matrix extracted from the fitted object, model.fit$varBeta or vcov(model.fit) -- the latter is not to be confused with vcv(). It depends on the shape of the likelihood function and shows how much the estimation of a parameter may be affected by others.

On phylogenetic signal, I think that AIC may be a suitable way to select the appropriate correlation structure: fit the same regression model with different corStruct and select the one with the smallest AIC. Note that often, the corStruct for a given regression model will not be the same than when considering each variable separately (e.g., gls(A ~ 1, ...)

A more general comment to Tom: you seem to imply the following (causal) relationships (here '->' is not R's operator):

C -> A
C -> B

It seems pretty clear to me that, if these relations hold, A and B will be correlated. But maybe you have other hypotheses/models in mind.

Best,

Emmanuel