I general, you should not be worrying about normality of the "tip" data, but
rather the residuals of whatever multiple regression-type model you are
implementing.  Check those, and maybe they will be OK with a particular
combination of independent variables.  Bad residuals can adversely affect the
likelihood of a model, so particularly check for big outliers.

Cheers,
Ted

Theodore Garland, Jr.
Professor
Department of Biology
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521
Office Phone:  (951) 827-3524
Wet Lab Phone:  (951) 827-5724
Dry Lab Phone:  (951) 827-4026
Home Phone:  (951) 328-0820
Facsimile:  (951) 827-4286 = Dept. office (not confidential)
Email:  tgarl...@ucr.edu
http://www.biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland.html

Experimental Evolution: Concepts, Methods, and Applications of Selection
Experiments. 2009.
Edited by Theodore Garland, Jr. and Michael R. Rose
http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520261808
(PDFs of chapters are available from me or from the individual authors)