From: Liam J. Revell [mailto:liam.rev...@umb.edu]
Sent: 30 July 2013 05:31
To: Tom Wenseleers
Cc: r-sig-phylo@r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-sig-phylo] Question on ace ML reconstruction of discrete binary
character

Hi Tom.

This was the subject of discussion recently on this list. ace does not do
marginal ancestral state reconstruction (which is probably what you
want) - it computes the conditional scaled likelihoods of the subtree.
These are the same as the marginal reconstructions only at the root node. If
your transition matrix is symmetric, then you can get the marginal
reconstructions by rerooting at all the internal nodes. This is in the phytools
function rerootingMethod
(http://www.phytools.org/static.help/rerootingMethod.html). If you want to use
a more complicated model, you will have to use another package - such as
diversitree.

An alternative is to use stochastic mapping and then compute the posterior
frequencies from the sample of stochastic maps. This makes it easy to put an
explicit prior on the root and to integrate over uncertainty in the transition
matrix. This is implemented in phytools also
(http://www.phytools.org/static.help/make.simmap.html).

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology University of Massachusetts
Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org