Yes, Fabricia, read.dna will only read your first dataset, but it has an option that allows you to skip a certain number of lines before the dataset. If you know exactly how many datasets (not lines) you have in your input file, you could try this function:

read.multi.dna<-function(file,N){
  X<-list()
  skip<-0
  for(i in 1:N){
    if(i==1) X[[i]]<-read.dna(file,format="sequential")
    else {
      skip<-skip+nrow(X[[i-1]])+1
      X[[i]]<-read.dna(file,format="sequential",skip=skip)
    }
  }
}

Then, if you want to get a NJ tree for each dataset, you could do:

X<-read.multi.dna("examplefile.dna",N=100) ## for instance
library(phangorn)
trees<-lapply(X,function(x) NJ(dist.dna(x)))
class(trees)<-"multiPhylo"

which I think means you would be using a JC model to get the distances. Of course, remember that the estimated trees are unrooted.

All the best, Liam

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org