Hi Ashley,

I think that these two types of analyses are actually asking different
things and therefore the decision of which type of analysis is best should
be made on biological rather than statistical grounds (i.e., no point in
comparing likelihoods or AIC scores). There is a good (albeit, rather
technical) discussion of the differences between pGLS and pRMA in the last
sections of this paper
http://sysbio.oxfordjournals.org/content/61/3/413.short

Sorry this isn't much of answer but hopefully it is somewhat helpful

Cheers,
Matt