From: R-sig-phylo [r-sig-phylo-boun...@r-project.org] on behalf of Sergio
Ferreira Cardoso [sff.card...@campus.fct.unl.pt]
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 10:13 AM
To: Emmanuel Paradis
Cc: r-sig-phylo@r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-sig-phylo] PGLS transformations

Hello,

Thank you both for the help.
Emmanuel, so is there a way to see contrasts in R? Reading this paper
- Garland, T., Harvey, P. H., & Ives, A. R. (1992). Procedures for the
analysis of comparative data using phylogenetically independent contrasts.
Systematic Biology, 41(1), 18-32. - I was aware of the importance of
standardizing contrasts and of comparing Absolute value of standard contrat
vs Standard deviation of contrast. I've learned to do this in Mesquite but
I don't know if R alows this to be done. When I run the GLS I ask R to
estimate the rho, so, a priori I never know the rho value.

Maybe I'm really really confused, but here is the reason why I tthink
something isn't right with my analysis: I built a phylogenetic tree in
Mesquite, and based on several works I used million years as branch
lengths. It makes sense for me because I'll be using a fossil on my
analysis. But I tested the tree before adding the extinct taxa, so to make
sure everything was OK when the tree was ultrametric. I noticed that, for
example, whatever the independent variable (X) was, the alpha from OU was
extremely high (0.999182, for instance). It would always be 0.999. I
thought maybe I was using the wrong transformation... That's why I ended up
trying to know if I needed to do something prior to transforming and
analysing the tree.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Sérgio.
ᐧ

--
Com os melhores cumprimentos,
Sérgio Ferreira Cardoso.

Best regards,
Sérgio Ferreira Cardoso

MSc. Paleontology candidate
Departamento de Ciências da Terra - FCT /Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Geociências - Universidade de Évora

Lisboa, Portugal