Hi Milton.

phytools has a function, ratebystate, that tests this hypothesis using the admittedly ad hoc approach of correlating the squared contrasts & the states at each node. To read more about this method you can see some posts on my blog: http://blog.phytools.org/search?q=ratebystate.

Note that as this is an unpublished method it has not survived the rigors of peer review and thus should be treated cautiously.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org