Well, I have the gut that depends also on the adopted units of measure for the
different traits. That is: having only averaged species data, is 1cm of
wingspan increase a greater change than 1kg of bodymass increase?

A solution would be to compare on each tip the inferred traits directional
change (approximated by the difference between the values at the phylogeny
nodes) with their variance. This would allow to use the same scale for the
evolution of every trait, i.e. variance units.

I think that's the idea behind haldanes: see Gingerich 1993
http://earth.geology.yale.edu/~ajs/1993/11.1993.17Gingerich.pdf

Giulio Valentino Dalla Riva
PhD candidate @ Biomathematics Research Centre
University of Canterbury
Christchurch, NZ
Phone: +64 3642987 ext 4869

On 17/07/2015, at 3:41 am, Theodore Garland Jr