Hi Cheng-Chiang.

Yes, you either need to supply a state for each tip or you can instead supply an ambiguous prior probability distribution. Perhaps it would make sense to add a fourth state that is the absence of the feature? Alternatively, you could imagine that an absent feature might have some trait value if it were observed (like the hair color of a bald man - it exists even if it cannot be observed), but this trait value is unknown. In that case it does make sense to supply a flat prior distribution - then both make.simmap and rerootingMethod can be used to obtain a posterior trait distribution on the unobserved trait's value.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Associate Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org