Tony Garnock-Jones wrote on 05/03/2015 12:55 PM:
On 2015-05-02 2:29 PM, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
What's the current viability of running Racket on a small OpenWRT
device?  (Anything new, such as due to the recent modularization of the
core?)
Nothing that I know of since 2011ish. The smaller core might make it a
little easier to assemble a minimal set of collections.

OK, thanks, Tony.  I'll have to give this a try in a week or two.

(Last time I ran Racket on OpenWRT, I was using a Netgear WNDR3700v2.)

I have a collection of these and similar WNDRs (my home office network is run by two 3700v2 and a 3800, running OpenWRT). For Racket, I'll probably try a 3700v4 or 4300v1 first, since they're 128 RAM and 128 NAND flash, albeit with a different SoC with lower CPU clock rate. I don't want to rely on USB Storage for this project.

(Aside: A challenge for an open source project that you want large numbers of people to be able to adopt grassroots-style is to find router model(s) with sufficient specs, and that run OpenWRT well, and yet are still easily available for purchase online and at big-box retailers. Additionally, vendors like Netgear and Linksys often replace the product guts of a model with very different hardware, without changing the model number; so, someone ordering a "WNDR3700" online could be getting any of 4+ different devices, with widely varying specs, and some of which don't run OpenWRT. Some open source projects can also work on Raspberry Pi devices, but sometimes you need the NICs/radios/switch hardware of a cheap router anyway, so you might as well do everything in one appliance box. A soho router is more polished and less expensive than a RasPi with a bunch of daughterboards and USB hubs and devices hanging off of it precariously.)

Neil V.