I don't do scientific computing, but it seems your question is to some degree
about economic incentives. When you say "maximize the profit," whose profit are
you referring to? When you say "minimize duplication of effort," whose labor
costs are you referring to? And if this work is so valuable to the profit-taker
/ cost-avoider, why aren't they already investing in a solution?