Dear Neil,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply and your understanding.

> There are lots of ways to "interoperate" between languages, but once
> you get into high-level languages the C calling-convention native code
> way you might be thinking of doesn't necessarily work well.

I am really interested in this topic. Many scientists write libraries in
Matlab and Mathematica and I find this very unfortunate. Not only do
they require you to buy a license for this software but it is also
difficult to use them in your favourite language/environment. Therefore,
I am thinking of writing my libraries in a compiled language in order to
make them more reusable.

> sometimes making it work very smoothly and efficiently for all cases,
> like you might imagine, is infeasible or simply a low priority.

I understand that. I thought it would be easy. I do not want to distract
the Racket developers from more important work.

> Maybe higher-level languages that aren't so easily mapped to a
> particular model of native code put us in a better position to smooth
> that transition.

I have read something about LLVM and its intermediate representation. Do
you think that using an LLVM-compiled language is more future-proof?

> I know there has been interest in doing more numerical things in
> Racket.

It would be great to be able to do GPU programming.

Cheers,
Marduk