Good to know. In that case, "just use `equal?`" is probably good advice for new Racket people.

Personally, I'm super-comfortable with `eq?` for symbols (since, as you know, it's a basic thing that's been used very heavily in Lisps for old-school AI and compilers and such). So I might as well keep efficient Scheme portability in this particular way, even were Racket to officially guarantee that `equal?` is as fast.