On 6 October 2015 at 15:58, Jay McCarthy <jay.mccar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this answers the question...
>
> These errors are coming from the Web server response-outputing code
> failing when the other side closed the connection early. The exception
> would not be returned to your code, because your code is a function
> from "request -> response" rather than a "request -> void" function
> that ends with a call to "output this response". So, the exception is
> thrown on the Web server's side and will just get caught be the
> connection thread's handler, which just prints it out and cleans up
> for the connection.

In this scenario, I think we'd want the exception to not be printed at
all, since it's entirely harmless.
And it seems doing this is the job of the "Web server
response-outputing code" you mention.

> The only way you could grab this would be to make
> a different dispatcher that called your servlet and then ran its own
> "output this response" code from a context you controlled.
>
> In any case, what would you expect to do with such an exception? The
> connection is gone and you can't do anything about it?

Indeed. Since you're answering a client, nothing to do.
(A client getting a reset from a server during a POST is a much more
complicated matter, but thankfully we're not there).

Cheers,
Paolo

--
Paolo G. Giarrusso - Ph.D. Student, Tübingen University
http://ps.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/team/giarrusso/