ok, had time to run my hash on my one test file
'(6000011 1 1 19 24783208 4.19)
this means
# buckets
% buckets empty
non empty bucket # keys least
non empty bucket # keys most
total number of keys
average number of keys per non empty bucket

it took 377 sec.
original # records is 26570359 so 6.7% dupes.
processing rate is 70478/sec

my plan right now is to rework my current hash so that it runs byte strings
instead of bignums. i will probably be tomorrow afternoon before i have more
stats.

question for you all. right now i use modulo on my bignums. i know i can't do
that to a byte string. i'll figure something out. if any of you know how to do
this, can you post a method?