When you write

(mixin (drracket:unit:frame<%>) (drracket:unit:tab<%>)
 ;; body
 ...)

This produces a function that takes classes which implement the
drracket:unit:frame<%> interface and produces classes that implement the
drracket:unit:tab<%> interface. In the body of the mixin you can only
assume that you have a class which implements drracket:unit:frame<%>, and
you will need to implement the methods that are required by the
drracket:unit:tab<%> interface, so you can't assume that those methods are
available in the body of the mixin.

I hope this helps, if not could you post an example program which is
causing the trouble,

Dan