Hi Angus,

2. I don't really understand what is happening with the big-bang on-tick.
> The big-bang function is passed 50 as the initial state.  Does the big-bang
> function somehow internally keep the state variable cached and then it gets
> updated by the change-state function.  That bit seems a little confusing to
> me.  Or should I just read more of the book until it is clearer?

Yes - big-bang keeps track of the current state. And the various handlers
are called to compute the new state.

I can recommend:

"big-bang: the world, universe, and network in the programming language" by
Matthias Felleisen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayoofXuKqMY

The big-bang explanation starts at 12.30.

/Jens Axel