'John Clements' via Racket Users (21.10. 01:21):

> I thought hard about scribble and JSON (and xml, yecch), but I think
> that YAML and sexps are the two viable candidates, and I’m guessing
> that if non-programmers have to edit it, they’ll be less likely to
> botch the YAML one.

My timesheet and invoice backend have been yaml files for 10 years now.
If you intend to let "non-programmers" work on it, I'd go for the
vertical layout:

    ---
    alincoln:
      fall:
      - 304
      - 428
      winter:
      - 409
      - special
      spring: # maybe theater
    gwashington:
      fall:
      - 224
      - 287
      - 110
      winter: sabbatical
      spring:
      - 789
    # might be able to hire stuffy?
    stuffy:
      fall:
      - 234
      - 234
      - 234
      winter:
      - 235
      - 235
      - 235

That being said, sexps have less "magic", which comes in handy if you
end up dealing with strings made of digits which promptly lose leading zeros due
to being converted to integers.

    ---
    bond, james: 007

might well end up with the integer 7, like in the following ruby
example:

    >> YAML.load("bond, james: 007")
    => {"bond, james"=>7}

So YAML "looks" easier, but sexps are more consistent.

s.