Oh, looking at the code, I can see how that could happen if something
has gone wrong with the callbacks in the GUI. Take a look at
drracket/private/font, and see the function `force-cache`, roughly
lines 71-86. That function is supposed to be called, but I guess some
callbacks aren't firing for you and thus it isn't being called.

Maybe if you stick some printfs in there you'll get some useful
information that would help us debug racket/gui?

Robby