On 04/03/18 13:31, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:

> I used Racket with both my children at age 9. Here is a short writeup
> about it originally posted to this mailing list.
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20080612194829/http://home.adelphi.edu/sbloch/class/hs/testimonials/prabhakar.shtml
>
> In answer to your questions, I would say (1) Demo it and see what they
> think, but let it be their decision; (2) Yes, the best one I know of!;
> (3) They need the potential to grasp the abstractions that an identifier
> may refer to a specific value or may range over all values, and the
> ability to distinguish those two situations. Seven might be a bit young,
> but you know your child best. Bootstrap did not exist when my children
> were the right age, and I would definitely think about that now.
>
> Neil is right that some light instruction combined with suggested but
> not required exercises and encouragement to explore is best. Of course
> that has to be tailored to the situation. Exploration can be frustrating
> if things are obscure or counterintuitive. And my younger child wanted
> to learn how to use Terminal in OS X by typing things into it. I had to
> explain why that was dangerous! --PR

Thanks for the writeup. Many interesting ideas on this thread, however I
do feel from reading up on this that 7 y.o / 1st grade might be a bit
too young (maybe not age wise but certainly school year wise) -- Germany
starts off kids in school a bit later than in the UK. Therefore she is
just starting to read/write.

I will nonetheless try to show her the DrRacket REPL and see what she
makes of it following suggestions elsewhere in this thread.

Thanks,

--
Paulo Matos